Friday, March 27, 2009

Q. Dear Natasha, every time I start working out and eating healthy, I go strong for a few weeks and then I lose my motivation, or I get stressed with work and I give into temptations to feel better. Any advice on how I can fix this?

A. Motivation is not all that it's cracked up to be. Motivation is a feeling and feelings are fleeting. They change when your blood sugar changes, with the weather and with your hormonal changes. You need to make the decision to commit to getting in shape. You need to decide now that you will do whatever it takes to make this happen.

It's similar to a marriage. If we only stayed married for as long as we felt in love, the divorce rate would be 100%. I guarantee you there will be many bumps in the road. There will be times you will not feel like being married to this fitness program, but you stick with it because you know studies show those who exercise/married, live longer.

For the day to day, I suggest the following:
  1. Don't bring foods that entice you to over eat into the house. If the only time you have willpower is when food shopping, that alone will take you far. If the food is not in the house, you can't eat it.
  2. Water, water, water. It will keep you feeling full and you won't mistake thirst for hunger.
  3. Sleep! When you don't sleep or get enough water, you need over eat to compensate.
  4. Eating to feel better doesn't work. 20 minutes later you'll need to eat again to numb the pain. Feel the pain/stress and move on. Let it go. Distract yourself with a book, TV, a bubble bath, a phone call to a friend, or dare i say, work out!

Labels: ,